Promotional Educational Requirement
Effective January 1, 2003 the Merit Board required any candidate competing for the rank of Lieutenant and Captain to possess a Bachelor's Degree. For candidates who were hired before 1999 the Merit Board granted 10 years to complete the Bachelor's Degree.
Beginning Promotional Process 2015, the Merit Board will require officers competing to the rank of Lieutenant or Captain to possess and provide documentation that they possess a Bachelor's Degree. Please keep in mind, candidates must have graduated with a C average or better from an accredited college or university, as certified by the registrar of the college or university.
The college or university must be accredited by one of the following associations:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges